Monday, May 28, 2012

Live Poker

I've been playing a lot of live poker lately.

I'm not abandoning online play by any means, but I'm trying to sharpen up my live skills and build a live poker bankroll and just ensure that I'm ready for whatever the USA poker landscape brings in the future. Truth be told, I've managed to grow to enjoy live play a fair amount as well (lol).

Where I live, the nearest casino is almost a 2 hour drive. When considering the time it takes for travel, plus gas and tolls, it's not really feasible for me to go to the casino regularly. So, I'm forced to play in local underground games. These games have extremely high rake structures, which is quite frustrating, but there are definitely some weak players in the games that help compensate for the absurdly high rake.

About a month ago I got an iPhone app to track my live poker play called Poker Journal. Here are my cash game results over that time period:


I also played in a few live tournaments recently. I managed to cash a smaller tournament for a profit of 1650, so I decided to play the main even of that tournament series which was a 500+60 event. I ended up busting just short of the money after a frustrating 12 hours of grinding, but it was still a good experience. I was very surprised to see how soft the field was for a relatively high dollar amount tournament.

Had a funny hand the other night at a local cash game - I raised over a limper or two in LP got a couple callers and went 3 or 4 handed to the flop. Flop comes ATTss and someone leads out into me for 1/2 pot. I call and it's HU going to the turn. He asks the dealer to wait a moment before dealing the turn, and exposes an offsuit ace to me and asks me if I want to check it down?! Umm, no thank you sir. The board ran out scary so obv I bombed turn and river and he folded on end.

I'm probably going to get some online grinding in again soon just to keep my online skills sharp. I'm still doing coaching and working with students actively, and have also done some sweats, so I feel I'm very much in touch with how the games are playing - but I suppose there is no true substitute to putting in the volume.

I also have a trip planned to Atlantic City in mid-June for a couple weeks. My favorite band, Phish, is playing a 3 night run, and I'm staying down there an extra week or two just to grind. Should be a good time.

Happy grinding! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment